Plane ticket + Backpack = The next three months of my life

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Catacombes


I spent my last few hours in Paris staring at piles of human bones. It was quite unsettling. Against my better judgment, I went alone. Initially, I tried to stay near the other tourists, but I kept pausing to take pictures and there was one point where I found myself completely alone, surrounded by walls of death, listening to Tool on my iPod. It was terrifying. I started to panic. My heart raced. I took deep breaths and headed in the direction where I'd last seen people. The floor was wet, the ceilings were low, and all I could see were skulls in every direction. Finally I ran into a man and his young son and followed them all the way to the exit.

I recommend visiting Catacombes with a friend, should you get the chance. It's an amazing experience, but not your typical light-hearted tourist attraction.

4 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary! This is Holly... how are you doing? I just started reading your blog. It seems like you are definitely having a good time and everything is going pretty smoothly. We miss you at work! Are you going to Belgium at all?

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, that wasn't against your better judgement, that was against what I told you! Didn't I say that it was going to be freaky? I'm really glad that you went though. Wasn't it really cool? Have a safe trip to Spain! I miss you.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe you went down there. you are a brave, brave woman.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the catacombs in November and had the same experience! The tunnel seemed to go on forever, and I had a panic attack toward the end.

I went with my sister, who is fluent in French, and she was able to translate all the poetry carved in the walls. Morbid stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home