Plane ticket + Backpack = The next three months of my life

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Hand me my beret, yo.


Ah, Paris.

It’s all so cliché and I love it. I walked down the street eating a croissant today. A French woman was rude to me when I asked her a question in English. The men have long, greasy hair and they stare at you until you look away. The metro is crowded and the ashtrays are plentiful and the pigeons will crap on your foot. I found Moulin Rouge surrounded by sex shops and peep shows less than a mile from my hostel. Then I bought a baguette and smoked a cigarette and pretended that I didn’t look like a tourist with my over-stuffed purse and tattered jeans. It was great.

Last night at my hostel I met a Canadian named Soriah and a Mexican named Laura. Together, we make an American sandwich. Haha. Soriah speaks fluent Spanish and Laura doesn’t speak much English, so Soriah had to be Laura’s translator for most of the day. The three of us took the metro to the Eiffel Tower at 10:00 p.m. and I ate a chocolate crepe while we watched the tower glisten and glitter. It was really romantic in a hanging-out-with-two-complete-strangers kind of way.

This morning we work up early and Soriah, Laura and I tried to go to the Musee D’Orsay but it was closed for reasons explained over the loudspeaker in French. Instead we toured Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens, and Museo Rodin, home of The Thinker.

I booked a few more nights at the hostel, so now I’ll be here until the 10th. This afternoon Laura left for Madrid, where she’s studying, and said that I’m welcome to come and stay with her when I leave Paris. That’s too good an offer to pass up, so I think my next destination will have to be Spain.

Additional random tidbits:

- I ate a cheeseburger for the first time in years today. It was the only thing that I recognized on the menu and I was hungry. Not knowing how to read French and being somewhat of a vegetarian isn’t an agreeable mix.

- saw a giant cockroach skitter underneath a set of shelves at the grocery store this morning. Didn’t have a heart attack or anything. Mom, you would be so proud.

- my clothing is already starting to fall apart. Two new elbow holes in my favorite black hoodie, burgeoning hole in the toe of my sock. Keep in mind that this seems like a lot when you only have three pairs of socks and two hoodies.

My laptop keeps crapping out and these French keyboards suck beyond belief, so future posts might lessen in frequency after today. Still checking email frequently though. Keep writing. I miss you guys a ton.

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a rat in the office today. Seriously. It was just walking , although not very well, across the floor. That's just not right.

Congrats on everything so far - I think you're the greatest! Looking forward to reading more as the trip progresses.

take care,
Christine

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,
We just got your URL, so I am so psyched to be following you on your trip now! You've seen and done so much already - it's fabulous!

Sounds like you're in a fun part of town. What ever you do, DON'T say "Voulez vouz couchez avec moi ce soir" to some creepy French man. You may have heard it in a movie or a song, but refrain! Refrain!

They say the Paris streets have a rosy hue, like wearing rose-colored glasses. Perhaps those holes in your shirt and sock are not letting you have quite such an unrealistic view, but I hope you do enjoy the city!

You'll have to be sure to try out all things American with French namesake... do it for me! Are they really better there? I want to know about the fries and the kissing, specifically.

A bientot, mon amie!
Salut,
Jamie (M.)

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, you should call Katy to find out what the must see places are in Paris. I'm glad that you are enjoying France. Have you seen the student riots yet? If you can't get Dad's laptop to work, he wants you to send it back to him, insured of course. I'm glad that you didn't freak out seeing the cockroach. Try a pan chocolate for breakfast.
Love, Mom

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Mary. You're getting good. Sounds like Paris is for you. I think Spain is an excellent place to head next. Wish I could join you. Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home