Plane ticket + Backpack = The next three months of my life

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Train Rider


Welcome to my travel blog.

The following entires were written during the three months I spent backpacking solo across Europe. I visited London, Manchester, Birmingham, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre, Naples, Sorrento, Nice, Monaco, Hamburg, and Frankfurt. I stayed in youth hostels and crashed on the couches of friends I made along the way. Clutching my Eurailpass, I took trains from country to country and spent the majority of my days on foot, exploring cities with nothing more than a free map and a couple of travel guides.

My life changed over the course of my three months abroad. I started my trip full of anxiety and fear. I'd never left America before. Never been on a train. Never had to speak a foreign language. Never been alone for three months. It was overwhelming, to say the least. But over time, I grew to love the freedom that comes with traveling. I fell in love with the people, the land, and the culture. I felt like life had been holding out on me; a veil had been lifted and the entire world came into focus, if only for a brief moment.

To read my story from the beginning, click on March 2006 in the Archives and start reading from the bottom of the page. Feel free to leave a comment if anything I've written strikes a chord. I must warn you that some entries contain unnecessary cursing, cheesy romance and crybaby self-pitying. But without all of that it wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

5 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just spent 2 hours reading about your entire trip. I'm a 21 year old Canadian boy who will be leaving to go backpacking in Europe in 3 weeks and I wanted you to know that it was very reasurring reading that you had the same fears I'm going through right now. I feel like we have a lot in common, I can see myself in your position having the same thoughts. I only hope I can keep track of my memories half as well as you did. Thank you for writing out your blog and making it available for everybody to read. I'm very glad you did.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Derrick said...

Wow! I don't know what to say. That seriously was amazing! You are such a great writer. I couldn't stop reading! I got in trouble at work for reading your blog instead of working. I am going to Europe next week and hope I can experience at least half of what you did! Your blog inspired be to start my own, although I am not good at writing, but I still need to try.

"I was the star of my own personal documentary with my iPod as the soundtrack and my journal as the screenplay."

When I read this I realized I couldn't pick better words to express what it is that I want!

This comment might have been weird, and I don't know if you even check this blog anymore for comments, but THANK YOU!

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interessant!

 
At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

thank you. just what i needed. i resigned from work to gain some exposure as just like what you had described! But could/may I please ask what is the budget (in euro) for your three months at the end of ur travel?

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog Mary. Thank You.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home